Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Introduction...

Welcome to my blog "DeLoreanRestore". I hope you enjoy my colorful look into the world of DeLorean restoration, maintenance, and enjoyment. Sounds easy? Well, maybe yes, and maybe no...

First, the formalities. My name is Mike, and I am from Fort Lauderdale, FL. I first became interested in DeLoreans starting at about 1984. My neighbor had a friend come over in his shiny silver car. When I saw the doors go up, I was hooked. I had no idea what the car was, how much they cost, nor did I care. At that age, all i knew is it was shiny, and I wanted one.

Of course, being a child who grew up in the 80's, I ran into a little movie called "Back to the Future". That was it... no matter how hard I tried, I would get one of these strange cars.

As a kid, my parents really gave me every toy that was car related. Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Majorette, it didn't matter. It was only inevitable that I would follow through with owning one. I even remember saving pennies that I'd find in the street in a giant jar to afford my car when I was older!

I read books, learned mechanics, and tried to meet every DeLorean owner I could. It became alot easier with the internet. I hooked up with an owner in Davie that really didnt care about me hanging around. He was going through a rough patch and was pretty tired of the car. I pretty much begged him to let me give him some money every month, and give me the car when it was paid off. Not bad... it was an 82, automatic, and in ok condition. Hey, I was desperate.
I got to take the car out a few times, and thought it was cool--for a slow car. I was sure that the deal was sealed, so I started telling people about my DeLorean.
Life Lesson: Never speak of owning something fully until it is fully yours. After a year, his wife wanted it gone, they refunded my money, and the car was outa here. My short lived first project went bye bye.

Years later, with more knowledge under my belt, my friend Mike bought 6720. With that car, alot more jobs were learned and we had the chance to meet some great people. We, along with our friend Brandon, started what is now The DeLorean Club of Florida, which now not only helps other owners learn about their cars, but we give enthusiasts a new place to learn, and we take part in the yearly Celebration Exotic Car Festival which benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation. For two years, Brandon and I have been concourse judges at this event. We welcome ANY DeLorean owner or enthusiast, and invite people to come out to every event, even in their daily driver. It's all about getting people with similar interests together to have a laid back good time.

I hope you enjoy the blog, and I hope you learn something along the way.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment